- Never dump used motor oil, paint or household chemicals on the ground or in a storm drain.
- Don’t pour household chemicals down the sink or flush them down the toilet.
- Use non-toxic alternatives to home cleaning chemicals.
- Don’t buy more of a household cleaner or other chemical than you need for the job.
- Read and follow directions on the use of household chemicals and disposal of containers.
- Sweep driveways and patios clean instead of hosing them down.
- Check for leaky faucets and turn off the water when brushing teeth to conserve water.
- Pre-cycle. Buy products with less packaging and keep your recycling and refuse bucket lids closed.
- Pick up pet waste and put it in the garbage can or flush it down the toilet.
In Your Yard
- Preserve established trees in your yard and neighborhood.
- Don’t overuse fertilizers and pesticides.
- Plant trees, shrubs, and ground covers that filter pollutant and reduce stormwater runoff.
- Don’t cut your grass too short. Adjust your lawnmower to the proper height to reduce runoff from lawns, and evaporation before infiltration.
- Plant native vegetation and choose plants that require little or no fertilizer.
- When you water your plants and lawn, make sure water doesn’t wash over streets and sidewalks.
- Recycle yard debris, or use it to make compost, instead of raking it into streets where it can wash into storm sewers.
- Use compost or mulch to hold moisture in the soil and control weeds.
- Drive your car less to reduce automotive fluid leaks on roadways.
- Got drips? Use kitty litter or other absorbent material to pick up drips before rain washes them into the storm drain and river.
- Recycle used motor oil at appropriate business locations for hazardous waste pickups.
- When you wash your car, park it on the grass instead of on the street or driveway.
- Don’t dump trash or sewage from your boat.
- Watch for fuel spills when you fill your tank.
- Use soap without phosphate to wash your boat.
- Use steel sinkers or washers instead of lead sinkers when you go fishing.
- Clean, Drain, and Dry… don’t be a transporter of invasive aquatic species.